Friday, August 6, 2010

Chimay Blue Half Recipe

I made this on Saturday, though it was a bit of a process:

Steeped the grain in 1 1/4 gallons of water for 20 min at 156 degrees:

4 oz Special B
4 oz CaraMunich
2 oz Belgian Aromatic
4 oz Wheat


Strained that to a bucket, strained it back into a pot and added 2lbs of amber DME, as well as 1/2 oz Hallertauer hops. I killed the boil after 30 min and I'm not sure why, but I restarted it and added the 1/2 oz of Styrian Golding hops, and then killed the boil again at 45 min, immediately after adding the 1/2 Whirlflock tab.


I didn't have Lyle's Golden Syrup, so I made invert sugar by adding 2 1/2 lbs sugar to 3/4 a pint of water. That was very interesting. I reduced it for about half an hour, then added to the re-re-boiling wort. As soon as that was boiling again, I dropped in the 2 1/2 lbs of Munich Malt LME, and boiled for another 5-10 min.


I strained that, which I probably shouldn't have, but the strainer fell anyway, so not much of those hop pellets were captured. I pitched the yeast and the OG was 1.090 - this one's gonna be strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment