Friday, April 9, 2010

Ciders

I also brewed 2 ciders yesterday, but was too tired to actually post about them. My buddy's girlfriend works at Whole Foods, so she got me 3 1-gallon glass jugs of organic apple-juice (perfect for fermenting). One is to drink (and to stagger the secondary stages), so for one I dumped in half a sachet of red wine yeast. I did this to leave a bit more sweetness behind, whereas champagne yeast would leave it higher in alcohol content, but also much more dry to taste. The Original Gravity of this was 1.063.

The second one I added as much brown sugar as I had (about 1/4 a cup) and added a bit more confectioners sugar (to get the ABV up), but the OG of this was only a little higher at about 1.067 or so.

Equipment:
1 airlock ($1 at Brew and Grow supply store)
1 stopper (.60c)
1 glass carboy, pre-filled with organic apple juice from Whole Foods (discounted - thanks G! but usually $3.99 at Brew and Grow)
1 sachet wine yeast (.50c)
1/4 cup brown sugar

Procedure:
1) Put sugar in small saucepan
2) Add juice to cover
3) Heat until sugar is dissolved (very quick, 2-3 min)
4) Return to carboy
5) Cap and shake carboy until all accumulation from bottom of jug has been mixed
6) Take specific gravity
7) Add half sachet of yeast
8) Add airlock
9) Ferment

No comments:

Post a Comment